There are not many visible divisions as far as gender-driven roles are concerned.
More and more men are becoming chefs, house-husbands, stay-at-home dads. Women are bringing home the bacon in most households, they reach for the cheque on dates, they are focussing on their careers, putting off marriage for as long as they wish to. In a world where, women are donning suits and men are wearing make-up, there are no clearly defined domains anymore, except giving birth to a child in the case of women, which also might change in the near future. Role-reversal is the new big thing.
So why shouldn’t a woman propose to a man? After all she spends her entire damn life thinking about marriage. How does a guy make his girl propose to him? You obviously can’t force her; just a girl can’t force a man to propose. You can only give her a few hints about the kind of person you are. When she understands that you’re not a run-of-the-mill kind of guy, and if and when the moment is right, she might take the initiative and propose:
- You can let her know that you’re a progressive thinker. You’re fine if she works, she pays the bill every now and then at restaurants, that she is free to live her life the way she wants.
- That you aren’t traditionally bound.
- That you appreciate when she takes initiative, like in the bedroom, for example.
- That you like an independent woman, who takes her own decisions.
- That you don’t feel threatened or insecure when she, not you, buys her things.
- That you are secure about your masculinity.
You can let her know how you feel. You can let her know that you think, to propose to someone is lovely, but a bigger high would be to be proposed to, because instead of you choosing her, she has chosen you and can’t wait to spend her life with you. It says a lot about her love for you. And it can work beautifully, too. Sometimes men are too scared of commitment. Sometimes they know they love this woman but end up thinking too much. Maybe a girl proposing is the just the nudge they need to get rid of this fear.
But just like a woman has every right to say no, so do men. If your girlfriend does propose to you – agreed it takes a lot of guts to do so – you still have a choice to refuse. You don’t have to say yes because you feel trapped.
With Sound Mind and Sound Body, nothing is impossible.....